Tuesday, April 14, 2009

On Raising Boys

Lots of new and exciting news on Baby #3 front!

We are 20 weeks as of tomorrow, and on Friday, April 10, we found out the gender = BOY!
I am still coming to grips with the fact that I will be a mother to three, let alone three BOYS! There is going to be lots of wrestling matches, couch jumping, and trips to the ER in our house. I can surely sympathize with my MIL, who raised four boys...the woman is a saint for sure.

At the ultrasound, we found out our third son is healthy and happy and right on track for a due date of September 3, 2009. The tech was able to tell the gender without much effort, and it was in the back of Tim's and my mind that we saw "the goods" on screen up close and personal. We've seen an ultrasound or two in the last few years :) The tech put the gender results in a sealed envelope, which we promptly opened in the parking lot! I have felt for the last few weeks that this baby was a BOY, and my thoughts were confirmed via that slip of paper. From the pictures, he looks just like his big brothers.

Our third son does in fact have a name, but will remain untyped and unannounced until his debut later this summer. We are thrilled with the ability to get to "know" him for the next several months, call him by name, and bond in a more tangible way this time around.

We announced Number 3's gender (shall we call him "Trey" for now? I need a nickname!) to our families on Easter Sunday - April 12 - while hosting dinner at our house. We even got to have Chris, Liz, Hannah & Sophie on Skype to see their reaction. I believe Chris's words were, "I say it's a boy as the day is long..." HA! Other than that, the guesses were more than half for a girl.

Jacob & Wyatt are turning into fast friends. They are currently running around the living room, kitchen, and back again chasing each other, laughing and squealing. Jacob is saying, "come on Wyatt, let's go this way" and other sweet things to his little brother. It is amazing to see their relationship grow into friendship; I can only imagine (and pray!) that it will continue to strengthen with each passing moment.

Jacob will sit and "read" books for hours; he has an excellent memory and can recall most story books after reading it just once. He is starting to take more of an interest in Daddy doing things with him: changing him, reading with him, bathing, putting him to bed. He now will come up to us at random times, without being prompted, and say, "I love you Mommy" and give a hug. He is to turn three in June, and still has no interest in potty training. Oh well, in due time, I know!

Wyatt is our strong-willed, cuddle-bug. He is our little explorer, and our funny man. He loves to make people laugh. He can climb on to the couch, the bay window, the chairs. He can climb off our bed, and thinks he can get down the stairs face first! He loves to laugh, and Jacob makes him laugh the hardest. He says thank you to everything, without prompt ("dee doo"), and when appropriate. He has tons of energy, but knows his limits and often times "asks" to be put to bed - he will stand with his blanket and Guy and bang on his bedroom door until we take him in there for the night. He usually sleeps from 7 or 7:30 PM until (more recently it's been earlier! Eeek!) 7:00 AM.
Tim and I are trying to come to grips that our 15 month old will be a big brother in a few short months!

More to come, time to prepare the rest of dinner for my guys!

No comments: