Saturday, November 21, 2009

Potty Training, Take 2

We are on Potty Training Boot Camp, Take 2, Day 1. (I tried a few days this summer, if you remember). It was, and is time. Jacob is ready. I am ready. Now or never.

Day 1 = success!
Jacob peed in the toilet 3 times successfully, with no accidents. He wore a diaper at his nap time ~ and pooped during the time he should have been sleeping, and therefore didn't ever sleep. Regardless, he was in good humor the rest of the day (surprising, actually, as it's usually a tough night following no nap).
It was an exhausting, but awesome day. I set the timer on the stove for every 15-30 minutes, depending on how long it had been since the last time he tried to urinate on the toilet. I kept feeding him pretzels and water (in a "big boy cup") to fill him up and make him have to go. He did the first time without hesitation, the second & third times he was wiggling, and asking for a diaper to be put back on. With a little coaxing and encouragement, I (and later we - Tim was gone for a majority of the day) was able to get him to sit on the toilet, and he peed with success!
We celebrated each time with hugs & kisses, and cheering, and a "prize" after each success - pretzels (from Halloween stash), and a toy football (from Big Brother present, leftover still - I save things periodically for such occasions, as to not overload them with goodies all at once, and to be able to reward the boys at times such as this), and a chocolate covered strawberry (yum!).


Jacob - we are so proud of you! We love you so much, and look forward to continuing to celebrate every goal you set out to achieve. Keep up the great work! All of our love, Mommy & Daddy

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Oh potty training! How I wish Emery were ready (she's clearly not yet). Sounds like you are doing a great job. Won't it be nice to cut down on those diaper loads? I'd cloth diaper more than part time if it weren't for my inability to stay on top of the laundry.

Also, so glad to hear that you have transitioned back to work so well. Sounds like you've got an awesome team for childcare support! It takes a village, doesn't it?