4 years ago on this day, you made me a mother. It was a beautiful sunny late Spring Sunday. It was the most amazing day of my life up until that point. It was also a little (or a lot!) scary. But I wouldn't change anything for the world ~ it made you you, and made me ready to face the world of motherhood head-on. I know there is nothing I would not do for you, to keep you safe.
You see, Jacob, before you were born, the doctor's machines told us that your heartrate was too low, it wasn't coming back up like it should, and you were in what they called "distress". By God's grace, and the amazing medical professionals He entrusted us to on this day four years ago, you were born alive. And I am forever grateful. To say those sentences and re-read them still gives me chills; even four years later I am remembering how different out story could have ended. There is not a day that goes by that I don't look at you, or think of you, and give thanks to Him and to them. For what He gave me is such a gift: you. And it is an honor, every day, to be your mom.
******
Jacob, this has been a big year for you! You had a lot of "firsts": Big Boy Bed, Big Brother times two, Sunday School class, and potty training, just to name a few. And you have mastered them all flawlessly. Every day, I feel like I blink, and you've grown an inch and gained a pound. Your wardrobe would agree - currently you wear size 4, 4T, or 4/5, and your feet are an 11. And of course, your appetite has to keep up: you eat a LOT! You continue to love yogurt, most fruits, eggs, peanut butter and jelly, cereals, and oatmeal ~ and you are starting to expand your tastes and interests - hamburgers, bean salads, pork, soups, and different kinds of pastas.
I can see you learning more every day. You like to ponder, and think about things, and you have a memory of an elephant: you forget nothing! You tell me directions when I'm driving in the car, you watch the traffic lights and tell me when to "go". You know when we're headed to the bank, car wash, the Grandparents' houses, the store. You recognize all of your letters, shapes, and colors, and you can spell your name, Go, Start, and Stop. You love reading books, and can even "read" a few of them on your own (this is especially fun to watch when you read to Wyatt!). You are like a sponge; I love to watch you soak everything in!
You are outgrowing your naps, but some days you still seem like you need them - until bedtime rolls around and you're keeping Wyatt up until 8:30 or 9 PM or sometimes after! You are still an "early riser" ~ waking most days at 7:30 AM, or just before.
It's been neat, and I'll admit a little sad too, to watch you transition from toddler to preschooler this year. You are my firstborn, and I have loved all of our "firsts" together! I will miss your "baby days" ~ but at the same time, I am enjoying watching you grow and learn. I will continue to do so, as we experience life together as Mother and Son, and as a family of 5 too.
Happy Birthday, to my sweet firstborn.
Jacob, I love you today and always!
No comments:
Post a Comment