Thursday, August 27, 2009

Home Stretch

39 weeks, 1 day.

We're in the "home stretch". And I will tell you ~ everyone.around.me is more anxious than I am about me delivering this baby!

I have been asked over the last several weeks (by various, friends, family, co-workers, consumers, and yes...strangers:

"Is your doctor going to strip your membranes?"
"Your doctor does know you have big babies, right? Isn't she going to do something about that before he gets to big?"
"Are you having any contractions?"
"Are you going to breastfeed?" (seriously...stranger at Tar.get!)
"Are you dialated at all?"
"So what are the next steps?"
"What does your doctor say?"
"How are you feeling?"
"Are you over being pregnant?"
"When is that baby going to come?"
"Do you remember the pain of childbirth from your previous boys?"
"Are you going to be medicated during delivery?"
"Are you having swelling?"

Don't get me wrong...I love this baby, I cannot wait to meet him, I am so excited for labor to begin, and for his delivery - BUT. I know that he will not be inside me forever, and that eventually he will come out! And with that knowledge, I am at peace being pregnant until that point. I never felt "over and done with" being pregnant with my 2 big boys, and I'm not feeling that way this time either.
I know that everyone has only the best of intentions by asking me these questions ~ but they at the same time, they are driving me crazy!

I had an appointment yesterday, everything looks great with me and Baby Man. I've gained 5 lbs in the last week ~ mostly due to swelling/water retention. My ankles and legs are feeling a bit tight, as are my hands and fingers, especially after a long day.
Next week, on my due date, I will have a Non-Stress Test, followed by my 40-week appointment.
My dr. will let me go to 41 weeks, and then we will discuss repeat c-section vs. induction.

Who knows when....but soon, soon, soon...we will have a new Boy to love!

2 comments:

Kara Scharrer said...

Did you have a C-section with your first? And then a VBAC with your second? From what I hear, my dreams of a VBAC shattered after having two C-sections already. :/

Beth said...

Kara, I did have a c-section w/ my first and a VBAC with #2 and #3. C-section was due to fetal distress (I never fully dialated or to pushing before his heartrate dropped), so I happened to be a good candidate for VBAC, per my doc. She was willing to let me go to 41 weeks before scheduling a repeat c-section with #2. And with #3 there was even talk of induction as a possibility of I happened to go overdue by more than 41 weeks. I never would have agreed to induction though - just my own personal feeling.

check out adventuresindiapering.blogspot.com. She has had several c-sections and might possibly have resources for you?