Thursday, December 23, 2010

Ahh, the baby and the boys...never a dull moment!

It's a very busy time of year, but I wanted to write a few things down while I'm remembering them.

Last week, at 27w 2d, I had some bleeding.  No contracting, lots of fetal movement (although my mind was definitely playing tricks on me, and I felt the movement was less-than-normal), no other symptoms or cause for concern ~ but this Mama was trying very hard not to freak out!  I was seen for an unscheduled visit in the office by my OB - who thankfully did a quick exam and announced that Baby was perfect, and everything was well.  My cervix was irritated, but long, thick, and closed as it should be.  The bleeding continued on and off for the next 24 hours, but was gone just as quickly as it appeared, and hasn't returned since.  Whew.  I have not experienced complications (aside from Placenta Previa with Jacob) with any of my pregnancies, and this was definitely ucharted and very scary territory for me.  I am so grateful for the outcome, and will patiently wait for this Little One's arrive ~ preferrably in March, please!

The same day, Jacob swallowed a penny.  Yes, really.  He was home with our babysitter while we were at work, and he played in the bathroom at rest time, and somehow placed a penny in his mouth (one of two pennies I'd been meaning to place into piggy banks...argh).  At first when I heard the story, I didn't believe him ~ he's four, and tends to embellish things from time to time....but as he described how he placed it on his tongue, and it fell down his throat, I couldn't help but stare at him in disbelief.  I confirmed the story by finding only one penny in the bathroom.  He proceeded to talk, act, play, and eat/drink normally, and following my ER Pediatric NP friend's instructions, as long as he was doing all of these things, the penny should pass on its own.  Thankfully, two days later, the penny arrived ~ in our toilet!  We have been having many conversations about not ever putting anything besides food or drinks in our mouths thankyouverymuch.
I truly thought Nate would be our first to put something in his mouth and actually manage to swallow it, but I was wrong!  My next guess is that Wyatt will be our stitches guy, and Nate will be our broken bone boy.  Or maybe some combination of the above.  One can only guess as a mother of three boys (and possibly one more!  Ack!  How did my MIL survive those years?!)...

We are all hitting some major milestones this week - I'm 28 weeks, Jacob is 4 1/2, Wyatt is turning 3, Nate 15 months....time is going by so fast!  I find myself enjoying each of their ages so much. 

I am happy to have the next 11 days off from work ~ for only 3 of my own vacation days, along with our holiday schedule.  It's been too long since I took time off for "no reason" - aside from vacationing or maternity leaves!  We plan on seeing both sides of our families (from out of state and not) and then having a couple of stay-in-our-pajamas-drink-coffee-and-play-with-our-toys days between Christmas and New Year's.  We'll see how that all pans out too - as we will be in "contagious cousins" contact most of the weekend!  (two have colds, runny noses & low grade fevers, another has strep throat -- what would the holidays be without sick kiddos?!  aaggh!)

Off to wrap presents, tidy up the house, do some laundry, and mostly...enjoy my family.  Ahhhh....

Merry Christmas and Happy 2011!

No comments: